Tuesday 14 February 2012

Top Ten Books That Might Break Your Heart A Little

An 'Anti-Valentine's Day' edition of the weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.


  1. Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman...I cry every single time I read this. Every. Single. Time. Even though I know exactly what's going to happen, I just can't help myself! Callum is a Nought. Sephy is a Cross. What will a racist society where white Noughts are inferior to the black Crosses do to their relationship?
  2. Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare...Three words sum up why this book is on this list. Will. Jem. Tessa. AAarrgghh! (well, maybe that was four words? Although the last one was really just a sound to express my feelings so maybe it doesn't count as a word...?)
  3. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins...LOVED it (of course) but there were some REALLY REALLY SAD bits. So much of the ending made me cry; by the time I reached the epilogue, tears were just streaming down my face.
  4. Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah...This is the story of a young girl unwanted and unloved by her family, considered bad luck because her mother died giving birth to her. Sounds sad already, doesn't it? Will definitely break your heart a little bit.
  5. What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell...I felt so sad for Evie at the end of this book...
  6. Love, Aubrey by Suzanne LaFleur...11-year-old Aubrey has lost her father and little sister in a recent car crash...and then her grief-stricken mother abandons her. I read this a couple of years ago so I don't remember it much now but I can recall feeling incredibly moved by the sense of loss and abandonment that Aubrey felt.
  7. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte...I find it really sad how Cathy and Heatchliff, who so obviously really love each other, never get to be together. Seriously, they get about one kiss - one kiss! - and then Cathy dies!
  8. Let's Get Lost by Sarra Manning...Nobody can get through to Isabel, not her teachers, not her friends, not even her family. Nobody understands her. And that's the way she likes it. But then she meets Smith and her iron wall begins to fall, and when it finally crumbles and she breaks down into tears, I broke down and cried as well.  
  9. The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson... Tenderly and honestly written, this is the story of 17-year-old Lennie who has been deeply affected by the abrupt death of her shining older sister.
  10. Between Shades Of Grey by Ruta Sepetys...This story follows Lina, aged fifteen and just like any other Lithuanian teenage girl, through her ordeal during the Russian genocide in 1941. I always find it really sad to read about incidents such as these, and to think that humanity is capable of such awful things. But at least this beautifully-written story has a happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hiya there! Thanks for dropping by The Book Parade!

***N.B. This is now an award-free zone. I'm honoured if you consider me, but people taking the time to read my posts and comment is the most valuable award I could receive. Thanks! :D