Sunday 25 March 2012

If you haven't seen the Hunger Games movie, you need to go see it right now.



I am a massive fan of the Hunger Games. So, needless to say, I had been extremely excited ever since it was announced that a movie was to be made. Of course, that excitement was coupled with a little anxiety over whether or not the movie and its cast would be able to do my favourite book justice.
But now, having seen the movie, I know that I needn't have been worried at all.
I absolutely LOVED the Hunger Games movie! I came out of that cinema and I wanted to go straight back in and see it right again! I know that when it comes out on DVD I'll be rushing to buy it so that I can watch it over and over again to my heart's content.
I must admit, when the cast was first announced, I had my doubts. Jennifer Lawrence really didn't fit my image of Katniss - my image of Katniss was:
Very small, skinny (after all, she barely has enough to eat at home) and wiry. Although she is 16, she looks young for her age, and vulnerable, but she is actually, as we know, very fiery and completely able to fend for herself.
I wasn't extremely keen on the choices for Gale and Peeta at first either but Josh Hutcherson did quickly come to grow on me as Peeta.
However, after seeing the film, I can completely understand Gary Ross' casting decisions. Whilst, before, I had only the cast's appearances to judge them by, I now have seen them actually taking on their roles and completely embodying the characters of the Hunger Games and can say that I think the whole cast did a fantastic job! For me, the one character I think was absolutely PERFECT was Prim, played by Willow Shields. She played Prim's delicateness and fright really well and she was just exactly how I imagined her to be when reading the books. I also loved the Career tributes. They all seemed to have a slightly crazed, sadistic side to them and an eagerness for fighting and bloodshed, which makes sense because the Careers do, after all, train especially to compete in the Hunger Games. 
I really liked how we got to see the Gamemakers in the movie and what went on behind the scenes of the Games. We got to see a whole new side to the story in the film that we couldn't see in the book. Also, it was very nice to see all the Capitol's crazy fashions brought to life.
The film managed to stay very true to the storyline but it was quite different to the book, however I think the beauty of this is that both book and film are each amazing works in their own rights. The movie just was a great interpretation of a great book, I think.
You know that tingly feeling you get when you're watching a really good film? (Or reading a really good book?) Well, I had it throughout the whole of the film, it was that good.
And even though I knew everything was happening, the movie still made me cry loads! I was on the verge of tears at the reaping scene and the goodbye scenes that followed, and the Games hadn't even begun yet! And of course, I just sat there, tears silently rolling down my face, when Rue died.
As the film ended and the lights came up, I was left with an immensely satisfied feeling - I loved the film and everything was just amazing.
I went to see this with a mix of friends who had and hadn't read the books, and those who hadn't read The Hunger Games beforehand came out dying to read them straight away!
So, if you haven't watched the Hunger Games movie yet, what are you waiting for?
'The World Will Be Watching...' You'd better be too!

4 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it! I thought it was so good! I was very impressed at how they adapted it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw it today. It was amazing! I was really suprised by how much the person who played Peeta started to look and feel like him.

    I imagined Prim to look and act...differently though. In the book she was a tad bit more lighthearted, and then in the movie she looked sad all the time. Or maybe i'm just confusing myself with Catching Fire.

    Anywho, I LOVED the actors who played Cinna and Rue. They were both really amazing, and fit into the characters' roles perfectly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to the midnight showing (pulled out my nerd card in all its glory) and LOVED the movie! It's funny, everything you said in your post, is exactly how I felt--about the actors and how well they executed the movie. The acting was superb and the entire film was packed with every emotion possible.

    I read the books over a year ago, so I just remember the key points of the story, and thought the movie was perfect. I have some friends, however, who just finished the books and were disappointed by the movie (they're crazy, obviously)because they said too many details were missed. I'm curious, did anyone else run into the same thing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this! It was so absolutely amazing! I think that they kept really true to the book and everything. I started crying when Rue died and what Katniss did afterwards. :'( I think that the roles were perfect. I LOVE Jennifer Lawrence because of how great of a serious actress she is but how big a sense of humor she has. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hiya there! Thanks for dropping by The Book Parade!

***N.B. This is now an award-free zone. I'm honoured if you consider me, but people taking the time to read my posts and comment is the most valuable award I could receive. Thanks! :D